Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba
An engineer was here.
Building awareness and affinity for a profession that is everywhere around us but rarely noticed.
Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba have ends statements defined by the board in their strategic plan, one of which is: The Public Understands and Values the Contribution of the Professions.
Over the previous two years, Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba had undergone some fundamental transformations in communication including changing the name from the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Manitoba (APEGM) to Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba (EngGeoMB) and re-branding to refresh the look and feel of the organization.
These steps were undertaken as part of a larger strategic plan to ensure the visibility and the perceived value of the organization and the professions among the public – but more specifically among stakeholders within the public, and among the members of the association.
The campaign was based on the new brand. Much like a person has fundamental personality traits that are core to who they are, but has opinions and ideas that are subject to change; the brand or the personality of the organization should remain largely unchanged for the foreseeable future.
Any campaign was a communication strategy coming forth from the brand, but fulfilling the short-term communication needs.
- Develop and deliver a province-wide campaign in the year 2016 that improves the visibility of engineers and geoscientists to the general public, defining the P.Eng. and P.Geo. designations, reflecting the competency and ethics of practitioners and their leading role in protecting the public interest.
- Through the brand and through the campaign, build an image of the engineering and geoscience professions as vibrant, diverse, rewarding, ethical, and equitable career domains.
- Use the campaign and accompanying internal and stakeholder communication rollout as an opportunity to enrich member identity, community and pride in the professions, by reflecting their work and by engaging chapters, committees, and members, through the use of tools such as talking points and resource kits.
- Align the communication in complementary ways to the work underway with government and regulators; under-represented groups and educational institutions.
- Use the campaign preparation to develop media relations policies, processes, and internal capacity, with the long-term objective of developing trusting and transparent relationships with members of the local media, so they will come to the association for comment on relevant news topics.
Take pride in your industry and your contribution to it. We are as strong as our membership.
Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba is a collaboration of proud and talented professionals, working to protect and enhance the integrity of our built and natural environments.
Engineering is everywhere. The things engineers do are exciting and cool. Engineers provide many trusted and valuable skills and services that make people’s lives better. We protect the public’s interest and safety.
CHALLENGES AND INSIGHTS
Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba wants to raise awareness of the profession, but also increase brand recognition for the P.Eng. and P.Geo. designations.
The campaign launch was linked to their annual conference, Ingenium, in October.
Three strategies were presented. The first focussed on Engineers and Geoscientists capacity to improve the current condition. The concept was called ‘creating tomorrow today.’ The second concept was more emotionally driven, ‘ specialists of life’. The third option, ‘An Engineer was Here,’ was the selected option.
The strategy was to overlay familiar settings with the engineering or geoscience contribution. To describe for example the engineering factors at play in the development of the bus on the road, or the video you are watching.
The campaign also included social media components for members where they could photograph their projects and themselves with a postcard reading ‘an engineer was here’, or ‘a geoscientist was here’ and share it on social media.